|High School Sports Displays at Slater Hall|
|Written by Bob Dill, Publisher|
|Wednesday, 21 October 2015 00:00|
Displays Feature Blue Ridge, Travelers Rest and Slater Marietta Sports History
A display of sports history of three northern Greenville County High Schools will be on display at Slater Hall in Slater and open to the public on Thursday, Saturday and Sunday of this week. There is no cost for admission.
Thursday hours are from 12:00 Noon until 8 PM. Saturday hours are from 10;00 AM until 4:00 PM. The exhibits will be open to the public from 1:00 PM until 5:00 PM on Sunday. Sunday October 25 will be the last day of the exhibit titled “Hometown Teams: How Sports Shaped America.” The traveling Smithsonian exhibit is funded by the United States Congress. The education materials are supported by the Smithsonian Women’s Committee.
Promotional materials stress that “all lesson plans follow Common Core Standards and project-based learning theories.”
Despite the subtle, back-door method of promoting Common Core being used by the Congress and the Smithsonian, in rural communities, the exhibits by the three local schools are outstanding and worth a trip to Slater.
Dot Bishop, a northern Greenville County community leader, said 1,069 people had visited the exhibits as of Saturday, October 17.
Slater Marietta High School no longer exists. It was merged into Travelers Rest when all of the Greenville Count School Districts were merged into one. Slater Marietta was a sports powerhouse before it was shut down by the district. Their display features four state championship trophies.
Two other northern Greenville County high schools, Jordan and Mountain View, that fell victim to consolidation were not represented in the exhibit.
Most Read Articles
- Court Orders Governor to Sign Request for $700 Million to Fund ‘Monumentally Terrible Idea’
- Hard Hats, Cannon Salute and TAPS on Confederate Memorial Day
- Disarming the American People
- Confederate Memorial Service, Springwood Cemetery, Greenville, SC
- The Atlanta Campaign
- It Could Never Happen Here
- Obama White House Trading Sovereignty for More UN Presence?
- Advice From the Oracle
- 100 Days of Reckless Photo-Op Hubris
- Obama Shows His True Pro-Arab Colors
- Character Does Matter
- Now is the Time for all Good Men …
- South Carolina Bill Would Nullify ‘Obamacare’
- Now And Going Forward
- “After America, There is No Place to Go”