With the share of U.S. adults aged 65 and older expected to be 1 in 5 by the year 2030 and more than 95 percent of elder-abuse cases going unreported every year, the personal-finance website WalletHub released its report on 2018’s States with the Best Elder-Abuse Protections as well as accompanying videos.
To determine which states fight the hardest against elder abuse, WalletHub compared the 50 states and the District of Columbia across 14 key metrics. The data set ranges from share of elder-abuse, gross-neglect and exploitation complaints to presence of financial elder-abuse laws.
Elder-Abuse Protections in South Carolina (1=Best; 25=Avg.)
- 50th – Elder-Abuse, Gross-Neglect & Exploitation Complaints*
- 46th – Total Expenditures on Elder-Abuse Prevention*
- 22nd – Total Long-Term Care Ombudsman-Program Funding*
- 41st – Number of Eldercare Organizations & Services*
- 31st – Number of Certified Volunteer Ombudsmen*
- 32nd – Nursing-Homes Quality
*Per resident aged 65+
For the full report, please visit:
Please let me know if you have any questions or if you would like to schedule a phone, Skype or in-studio interview with one of our experts. Feel free to embed this YouTube video summarizing the study on your website. You can also use or edit these raw files as you see fit. Full data sets for specific states and the District are also available upon request.